How To Prepare For Your Ecotour Voyage
The following is very important!
Please read before you join us on The Horseshoe Crab!
First, check the local weather! There’s an old saying, attributed to Mark Twain: “If you don’t like the weather in New England, just wait a minute”
Our Ecotour boat, The Horseshoe Crab, is equipped with a roof, mosquito netting, and a head (toilet). That being said, we recommend that all passengers bring the following items:
Your ecotour experience will be even better if you can bring a decent pair of binoculars. The harbor is beautiful all the time at any distance, but viewing the scenery and the wildlife through binoculars will greatly enhance your experience.
- A Hat or other headgear to protect you from the sun.
- A camera
- Insect repellant. Please be respectful of your fellow passengers when applying insect repellant: please do not spray aerosol or pump products on the boat. Please review the Center for Disease Control's guide to Using Insect Repellents Properly.
- Weather appropriate clothing - hot or cool, dry or wet (again, check the weather). You will not regret bringing an extra layer of clothing, but you may regret not bringing it. The temperature is almost always five to ten degrees cooler on the water than it is on land. Prepare for up to ten degrees less than is indicated on the local weather. Finally, we are on the water, so it is possible that you and your clothes may get wet. Please dress accordingly!
Our tours are only two hours long, but you may want to bring a snack. The Barnstable Market, at 3220 Main Street (Rt. 6A) has hot and cold sandwiches and a wide variety of other food and beverage items.
Items you should NOT bring:
- Glass containers of any kind.
- Awkward shoes - e.g., high heels or dress shoes.
- Green or blue clothing - green and blue attract the Greenhead Fly. You don't want to do this.
- Extra stuff in general - space is limited and we want all our passengers to be comfortable. Further, we cannot guarantee that items won’t get wet or slide around the boat, so please limit your carry-ons to a backpack, purse, small cooler etc.